Institute for Strategy of Education Development of the Russian Academy of Education was founded in 2014 as a result of the consolidation of five research institutions:
- Institute for Content and Teaching Methods of the Russian Academy of Education (since 1922);
- Institute for Strategy and Theory of Education of the Russian Academy of Education (since 1944);
- Institute for Educational Technologies (since 1996);
- Institute for Innovative Activity in Education of the Russian Academy of Education (since 2004);
- Institute for Strategic Research in Education (since 2002).
The Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation was the founder of the consolidated Institute. The Institute was created to develop strategic directions of modernization of the Russian education, to provide scientific decision-making and state policy making in education in the Russian Federation, to carry out fundamental and applied research in liberal arts.
The objectives of the Institute, according to the Regulations, are:
• to organize and carry out fundamental and applied research in the theory and strategy of education, to estimate the development of education and pedagogy;
• to support scientifically and methodologically the education system of the Russian Federation, meeting the public and state needs in the field of science and education.
The work of the Institute is aimed at getting new pedagogical knowledge, identifying and analyzing global trends in the development of education and pedagogy, supporting scientifically and methodologically the innovative development of the education system and improving the quality of education, updating the content of education and developing learning theories of the 21st century, promoting the scientific-pedagogical professional development of educators.
On the basis of the Institute there exist Academic Councils of the Russian Academy of Education that unite the scientists, carrying out scientific research in fundamental areas: history of education and pedagogy, philosophy of education and methodology of education research, comparative education, learning theories and others.
The fundamental scientific research of the Institute includes the development of theoretical and methodological, philosophical and historical aspects of education and upbringing. The applied research of the Institute is closely connected to the fundamental one and is aimed at searching for the solutions to the problems at all levels of education. However, the development of general education is traditionally in priority.
The spheres of research of a number of scientific departments are as follows: methodology, theory, source study and historiography of world history of pedagogy and education, updating of ideological and scientific potential of Russian pedagogy and education. Much attention is paid to polytechnic education at school.
Institute for Strategy of Education Development conducts post-graduate and doctoral studies and has two Dissertation Councils for the PhD Final Examination Dissertation Defense in the field of education and pedagogy.
An important direction of the Institute's activity is additional professional education.